This Discussion channel is currently closed.
V3_lidrendering

The City of Edina is exploring the idea of Grandview Green, a two-acre green space that could be located directly over Minnesota Highway 100 near the existing 50th Street/Vernon Avenue and Eden Avenue bridges. This location is under consideration because the original topography readily allows for this type of improvement.

Since this land has been tax-exempt for many decades, any new development will generate new tax dollars for the City, School and other taxing agencies. The construction costs of this project can be borne by future development with no anticipated tax increase for Edina residents.

This highway “lid” could provide a friendly and safe pedestrian connection across the highway with fewer conflicts from vehicles getting on and leaving Highway 100. The Grandview Green project could also create new community green space as part of a civic campus near Edina City Hall. New development (public or private) along the eight acres of underused land along the edge of the highway is anticipated to pay for the construction of the new park.

While the focus of this particular conversation is about the public open space that could be created, the overall project could stimulate new development adjacent to Highway 100. What suggestions do you have for the type and scale of new development in the area?

9 Responses

Default_avatar
Wallace Wikoff about 1 month ago

Any development in the area, with or without a "lid" over Hwy 100, should be consistent with what is already there, on both sides of the highway in height, density and occupancy. A multifamily housing/retail mix makes sense. We don't need yet another area with height and density creep like both 50th & France and the Southdale area are experiencing.

0 Supports

Default_avatar
Ted Adams about 1 month ago

I thought this dumb idea had gone away but it keeps coming back, apparently in hopes that it will sound better than the last time it was rejected. C'mon city hall, spend your time on something useful.

2 Supports

Bootstrap_10214436850264765
Mark Buckholz about 1 month ago

Great idea, although I would recommend adding a stairway to heaven... it wouldn't cost much more!

2 Supports

Default_avatar
Jennifer Janovy about 1 month ago

A great deal of process has gone into Grandview. The "lid" concept is a massive departure from the Grandview Redevelopment Plan. The traffic impacts on 50th east of City Hall and on Interlachen north of Vernon have not been studied. Adding over 2 million sq. feet of commercial or residential will have unworkable impacts on local traffic. There are 30+ acres waiting to be redeveloped at Pentagon Park. The industrial areas of Cahill may also provide another opportunity for redevelopment. Perhaps put the focus there and not on this project.

4 Supports

Bootstrap_10208840060257091
Sue Keator about 1 month ago

Just stop it. We have plenty of "amenities". Stop trying to aggrandize yourselves with our money. Maintain what is already here. This "lid" is just ridiculous.

0 Supports

Default_avatar
Laura Kondrick about 1 month ago

Touted as a park and a connection and downplaying the anticipated tax revenue produced by buildings on either side of the parkway. We will have no control over the architecture or aesthetics. Call me a small thinker, but I think this "proposed" project way overshoots the mark of the Grandview Redevelopment Plan. It is presented almost as a fait accompli. I was at the 11/9 presentation and no city council members were present. Chad Miller the city engineer was there and tried to sell it.

0 Supports

Default_avatar
Ann Makredes 28 days ago

However much this project may sound appealing, I really don't think a city the size of Edina should start investing in this. It really seems to me to be a HUGE waste of time, effort and money. I live right by the proposed site and can't imagine anyone using it, including myself. I really hope this project will be dropped ASAP.

1 Support

Default_avatar
Sharon G 26 days ago

Not sure who at City Hall actually reads this but here goes: I went to the presentation at City Hall and came away more informed, but still questioning "why?" would Edina go ahead with this.

1. Got a general idea that MnDot is eager to rid itself of property that they need to spend money on for upkeep and that could generate some tax dollars for the state with this lid project. If this is so, WHY didn't they put a lid on Hiway 100 a couple years ago in St. Louis Park when they were already revising the freeway between Hiways 5 & 7? and WHY did they use so much land for entrance/exit ramps in that area? WHY didn't they develop that land rather than move south where there appears to be even less acreage.

#2. WHY is this area of Edina being targeted for development when the Pentagon area on 77th St. is not? That area has had a new bike/pedestrian bridge connecting east/west Edina and also will benefit from a redeveloped Fred Richards area? WHY squeeze development into 50th/Vernon when the Pentagon area is huge and available? #3. We are not just talking about creating a lid....we are talking about creating a tunnel and dealing with all that goes with tunnel: a) upkeep .... lane restrictions to work on repairs in the tunnel, cost of upkeep b) tunnel noise... studies show noise increases at either end of a tunnel, traveling into those neighborhoods. c) tunnel traffic.... any fender bender or accident in the tunnel will restrict the flow more than now, where can be safely pulled off to the side. Even if the tunnel has a break down lane, it will be restricted by a wall which will restrict flow because the visual encroachment of a wall naturally slows traffic due to visual perception and anxiety associated with a sense of crowding. Additionally, drivers will find routes through neighborhoods when they sense a major backup in "the tunnel".

0 Supports

Default_avatar
Sharon G 26 days ago

I did not capitalize the above.... it just printed that way and I can't change it.

0 Supports